Saturday, 25 June 2011

Causing Havoc Through Time in 3D

Havoc's Ocarina of Time 3D Review!

Hey, guys. Havoc here.
I know Chain O'Mac wants to do this, but I figure I'd get mine done while in the mood to do some writing.
So, let's begin.

When I first opened up my 3DS for the first time (yes Ocarina of Time came with my 3DS) I wasn’t expecting it to look so good, even thought they said it would get a upgrade in that area. The sight of the Great Deku Tree popping up in 3DS made me jump back. Running about the forest trying to get the rupees to buy a Deku Shield returned me to my childhood and the first time I played the game on the N64, surprised to see the little new things they added like the vision stone, which in hindsight seems a bit of a waste considering by the time I went back to the forest or the Temple of Time I’d already got past the part I was stuck on, and I did get stuck even thought I’ve probably completed the game many times but places like the Forest and Water Temple are naturally difficult.

Anyway when I got into the Deku Tree the whole place looked interesting and even the idea of moving around to see and change the point of view of the camera, even using it with the slingshot seemed interesting the first time, which quickly faded when I tried to do the Archery range to get the bigger seed bag, considering you move the slightest and it moves along with it making quite the few missed shots even using it against Queen Gohma meant I missed hitting her eye by a cat’s whisker. Couple movement controls with 3D wasn’t working for me so off the 3D went, considering just adjusting how you sat would mess it up and I still was amused by the motion control.

With every new place I went to on the journey through Hyrule I enjoyed the look of it all as well as the little additions all around the place. One such addition is at the Lon Lon ranch when your child Link there’s a nice picture probably drawn by a baby Malon behind the two pots in the upstairs room. Although I did miss the Mario picture in the castle courtyard but was relieved that the guard who threw bombs at you was still there, although I’m surprised they’ve not had him for trying to injure innocent kids. 

Playing the ocarina in this game relies on learning the new set up for the controls, considering the lack of a C stick, although the songs have stayed music wise the same as the original.

Heading into the Skullatala house (^^; or however it’s pronounced) instantly gave the creepy empty house vibe. Running through the Dodongo Cavern, the lava floor seemed all the more dangerous, even fighting the King of them was amusing with the improvement of appearance.

When your about to enter Lord Jabu Jabu for the first time 3D was turned back on just to see Link fly at you as he gets eaten by the giant fish. Carrying Ruto about is irritating I mean why can’t she just follow you it would make it so much easier considering all the avoiding you have to do, the other option being putting her down to then fight with whatever may be blocking your path and until you get the boomerang you can’t do that with most enemies.

Beating the boss and outside and the shock of Ruto staring at you causes you to fall of the log and she doesn’t have that weird face she use to have just a smirk. Getting the stone and rushing back to the castle proves to by an easy task with help of the river and to the cut scene that all players will have seen no matter how far you got, most of it appears in the dream at the start. Flicked the 3D on just to see Ganondorf attack you and half expected the attack to come out of the screen which just shows how into the game I was at that moment.

Opening the Door of Time seemed as monumental as it opens to reveal the Master Sword, majestically standing there in the rock well pedestal. Pulling the sword left like you was unlocking some ancient power as the blue light shot up from the floor until the music comes in.

Darn! Ganondorf followed you >.< and has got his hands on the Triforce which you were meant to get before him.  But what’s this you find yourself in the presence of the Sage of Light... and you’re older, seven years to be precise, and you’re the Hero of Time...

Arriving back at the Temple and you’re greeted from your slumber by a very feminine looking Shiek which makes you wonder if he is who he says he is. From here on the Temples and the Bosses are enjoyably better looking making it feel like it’s a whole new game even though it’s a remake, which sounds bad, of an old and considered by many including myself a classic. The addition of the boots being turned into fellow items following stuff that was done in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess means its not a constant rush to the equipment screen, which has been changed to gear, to swap shoes.

Fighting Ganondorf the first time isn’t helped by the motion control which kicks in when you use the L targeting, which is how I find myself fighting him. Even when you do win it feels like its not over yet even though Ganondorf falling onto the ground should be a pretty good sign and even then the building shaking doesn’t help the issue. The quick rush down the tower chasing after Zelda dodging the falling boulders from the ceiling even when you’re outside, when you manage to get outside you feel relief that you think it’s all over until the rather ominous sound from the rubble. Going over to investigate as all heroes do, when they don’t have anywhere else to go considering you’re on a large floating rock, you go investigate only to find the main villain isn’t dead who’d have thunk it. Fighting the Ganon version you feel like the sword getting knocked out of your hand is the start of your problems...

No comments:

Post a Comment